Office Update April 27
Dear Valued Patient,
At Periago Orthodontics, during this trying time, our number one priority is to provide an atmosphere of health and safety for our patients, families and staff members.
With this said, Indiana’s Governor Eric Holcomb ended the stay at home order for our office with Executive Order 20-22. This new Executive Order was signed on April 20, 2020, and allows dental offices to return to work on Monday, April 27.
Here at Periago Orthodontics, we are taking a slow approach to our return in order to ensure the safety of our patients, families and staff. Our staff will begin making calls this week to reschedule appointments that have been affected by our closure.
If you have a regularly scheduled appointment during the entire month of May, please be advised that these appointments may be rescheduled. We are triaging patient appointments based on varying factors including the type of procedure and risk involved, time passed since the last visit, presence of pain, and or emergent need as well as other special considerations. There are many factors that will go into the time frame of when you or your child will be seen.
Please be patient and understand that these procedures are all in place with your best interest at heart. Please also understand that we have over 7 weeks of patients to reschedule and due to social distancing regulations, we will only be able to see roughly half the patient flow as a normal day. You may not be seen the first week or even within several weeks of our re-opening. We are doing our very best to see everyone in a timely manner as well as keep our patients and families as well as our staff safe!
We ask that you understand that the new normal for the months to come is going to feel very different than our office policies in the past. We are operating under strict regulations and guidelines from multiple agencies including but not limited to the CDC, ADA, IDA as well as the AAO. One of our front office team members will be calling you to discuss your appointment as well as new office protocols in detail.
Please carefully read the below-highlighted points so you are prepared for what to expect at your next visit:
- If your child or anyone in your family has had any signs of sickness (Covid-19 or non Covid-19 related) over the last 14 days we ask that you kindly reschedule your appointment.
- Every patient will be required to fill out a health assessment describing their overall health for the last 14 days. Any signs or symptoms of illness will require that your appointment be rescheduled. We cannot see you or your child without this form. No exceptions.
- Every patient will need to fill out an updated consent form to be treated in our office during the COVID-19 pandemic. We cannot see you or your child without this form. No exceptions.
- Our office will be completely closed to anyone unless they have a pre-scheduled appointment. There will be no walk-in appointments allowed.
- Upon arrival at your appointment, you will need to call our office at (812) 944-5595 or text us at (812) 965-6335 in order to let us know that you are in the parking lot. We request that you do not enter the office without texting/calling first.
- When we are ready to see you or your child a team member will come to your car in order to pre-screen for the appointment.
- We will review your health assessment as well as take a forehead temperature. Any patient with a temperature above 99.6 degrees will not be allowed into the office and your appointment will be rescheduled.
- We also request that all parents and siblings stay in the car during the entirety of the appointment. **No siblings will be allowed into the office. No exceptions** We will accompany your child into the clinic for his/her appointment. If your child has anxiety only one parent can accompany the child into the building. The parent must wait in the lobby and under no circumstances will be allowed into the clinic/treatment area. If a parent or guardian wants to enter the building, he/she will have to have the same screening procedure as the patient. If a fever is present, the appointment will need to be rescheduled.
- We request that anyone entering our building wear a face mask. This can be a handmade cloth mask such as a bandana or a scarf. Any accompanying adult must wear a mask as well.
- Before his/her appointment your child will be asked to sanitize their hands with an alcohol-based sanitizer.
- Before we work on your child, we will request that he/she gargle with a peroxide rinse.
- We will be following all CDC, ADA, IDA and AAO recommendations for treatment: therefore, some procedures (such as adhesive removal from teeth) may be delayed until later in the year.
We will fill out a form with a brief description of the procedure performed as well as recommendations and send it with your child.
- We will schedule your child’s next appointment and give them an appointment slip. If this appointment time does not work for your schedule, please call our office and we will make our best attempt to reschedule for a more convenient time.
- We always practice Universal Precautions; however, you will see a very big difference in our PPE. We will be wearing goggles and masks as well as plastic face shields. Please discuss this with your children so that they can be prepared for their appointment. We will post a photo on FB if you’d like to show them what to expect!
- We have always maintained the highest standards in sanitization and sterilization. We are increasing all efforts and attempts above-recommended standards to ensure your family’s safety!
I know this seems like a lot! I understand that this has been a frustrating and scary time for all of us. I would personally like to thank each and every one of you for your patience during this extremely difficult time.
The support you have shown for us during this time is greatly appreciated. Please understand how seriously I take your child’s health as well as the health of our team and the entire community.
Some of these new policies may seem over-exaggerated or extreme, but they are in place based on guidelines for our safety and for the decreased transmission of the COVID-19 virus.
I thank you in advance for your support and continued patience and understanding in our endeavor to keep our community safe. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns you may have.
Danielle R. Periago DMD, MS